Monday, October 17, 2011

Week 2.5

Well, it only took 2 weeks for me to get behind.  I'm only a day behind though so not too bad.  I was stuck mowing the yard yesterday.  Anyone who knows me knows I don't mow, but with dh out of commission I had to either hire someone or suck it up and do it myself.  I figured it would only be once since the weather is cooling off; I sucked it up.  I'm not built for doing exertion type things out in the heat even a temperate 85 F.  Yes, it was only one day out of many, but I'm using my husband as my excuse.  He worked from home all week and required care.  I worried about him when we would leave and tried to maintain quiet when he was napping, which was a lot.  Today he went back to work and he is doing much better these last few days.  All of this is a long way of saying shit happened and I got behind.

This week I will do another craft at the end of the week to make up for it so that I still am on track.  Here now is last this weeks craft.

Jar Luminaries from Crafts by Amanda
These were pretty simple.  Kitten (my daughter) even got in on the action this week.  She has asked about making a fabric bowl from last week, but we haven't gotten around to it yet.  This, however, was irresistible.

Supplies were pretty basic:
Glass jars (plastic would work too if you think the paint will stick)
Acrylic Paint in your choice of colors

A note on the jars: make sure that at least one side is smooth.  My jars have raised letters on one side so I put that side to the back.  I have some little pint jars that are round and would have made cute pumpkins if it weren't for all the decorations that are on the glass.

I keep my canning jars in the garage so they were a bit dusty.  I just wiped the dust off since I'm not eating out of them and was feeling too lazy to wash them.

Next step was pretty straight forward, paint the jars.
I painted three jars and let Kitten do the fourth.  It took us about the same amount of time, but more on that later.

Here she is making a dark purple by mixing black and lavender.  I followed Amanda's instructions and just did one layer of paint.  Bonus, it takes less time.  I decided to just freehand my faces like she did.  I'm not very artistic, but I felt this was on my skill level.

Drawing them on with the sharpie was a little difficult.  The paint kept trying to peel off.  I'm not sure if this is because I didn't let it dry very long or if the jars were still a little dusty.  The paint on the white jar was a little thicker so it had to dry longer before I could do the face.
 Here they are after I filled in the sharpie outline with black paint.  This really was a super easy craft and so fast.  Now I just had to wait for it to get dark so we could check them out with candles inside.
Hmm, looks pretty dark now.  Time for a light.

I like the way they look even better in person.

Now for the breakdown.  Overall this craft was fun, fast and easy.
A few notes:

Don't put the paint on too thick or your candle won't show through.  Kitten was trying to avoid brush lines and her paint ended up a little thick.  This made the candle lighting anti climactic.

Lighting the candles is a pain.  I plan on picking up some LED tea lights later this week.

I didn't put the glaze on my jars since unlike Amanda I use these jars for food pretty regularly.  This way at the end of the holiday season I can simply scrub off the paint and put them back with the rest of my canning jars.  No figuring out where to store more breakable decorations  either.


tHG said...

Those are cute!

tHG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.